having prepared a document which provided for the perpetuation of Americanism and its principles of democracy, organized the interested membership to permit incorporation and on November 29, 1939, this was accomplished through 28 Charter Members.
In the Western section of this City, in those days, these residents had no organization an in occasional get-together's they realized the urgent need for the formation of a membership association, through which they might unite in harmony and work together in the mutual interests of all concerned - themselves, their resident area, their neighbors, but most of all, for the best interests of the people of the entire City; that through their dedication to community spirit and citizenship, they might aid in building a progressive future.
This, then, was the beginning of an organization which was to devote itself to the task laid out before it, through its founders and charter members, and which, over the years, has developed a history of community achievement which can be looked upon with pride.
In its early days the Association first convened at a then popular hall, where various functions were held, known as “Spaziani’s Hall”. Here, the founders, charter members, and new members, diligently pursued their course. Later, the Association convened in the Elks Building, and eventually moved to 241 Breen Avenue, where it conducted its business and meetings for a number of years. In the meanwhile, this growing body maintained the fond hope of ultimately establishing a permanent headquarters, as a monument to the local residents of Italian extraction and their children, where they might continue in the course they had laid out- fraternal effort toward the best interests of the entire community.
In 1947, during the month of May, the Association announced the opening of its campaign to raise funds with which to provide for the construction of its own, permanent headquarters. The campaign, through extensive effort, proved highly successful.
Finally, in 1949, these permanent clubrooms were dedicated and it brought into reality, the dream of the founders and charter members of having their own building, and where the association could carry out the purpose and ideals it had spelled out, mainly:
“TO MAINTAIN AND FOSTER IN THE CITY OF WATERTOWN, AN INTEREST IN CIVIC, SOCIAL AND POLITICAL AFFAIRS, AND TO INCULCATE IN ITS MEMBERS, THE HIGHEST IDEALS AND CONCEPTION OF AMERICANISM; TO FOSTER IN EVERY WAY POSSIBLE, EVERYTHING THAT TENDS TO BRING ABOUT A BROTHERHOOD OF ITS MEMBERS IN A MANNER THAT THERE MAY EVOLVE FROM THE PERFECT FUSION OF ALL THEIR ENERGIES, THE NECESSARY POWERS TO SAFEGUARD THEIR INTERESTS AS CITIZENS, AND FOR THE MUTUAL BENEFITS OF ITS MEMBERS AND OF THE CITY OF WATERTOWN AT LARGE: TO MAINTAIN ON A HIGH LEVEL, THE CULTURE OF ITS MEMBERS AND THROUGH THE MEDIUM OF SUITABLE LECTURES AND CONFERENCES, INCULCATE IN THE MEMBERS ALL THOSE PRINCIPLES THAT MIGHT LEAD TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THEIR CHARACTERS AND TEND TO ELEVATE TO A HIGHER DEGREE THEIR STANDING IN THE COMMUNITY: IMPRESS UPON ITS MEMBERS THE ADVANTAGES AND NECESSITY OF NATURALIZATION AND DO ALL IN ITS POWER TO AID AND ASSIST ANY MEMBER IN PROCURING HIS CITIZENSHIP PAPERS.”
The Italian-American Civic Association, throughout the years, has, through its many accomplishments, and spirit, determination, and willingness to aid others, developed a record in this community which is rich in respect, honor, and pride. From its inception, it has undertaken its own programs, as well as cooperated with other organizations and individuals, in bringing about fraternal, social, and community good, for the betterment of the lives of everyone. It has participated in projects to aid children and students; it has offered its facilities and services and funds to assist worthy causes. It has been, and is now and always, prepared to continue in the further development and progress of the entire community.
These clubrooms have been the scenes of countless events, which have been attended by leading legislative and political figures, statesmen, religious leaders, as well as outstanding sporting and educational figures, and representatives from all classes of professional and industrial life.
Certainly, the inspiration of the developers of this Association, combined with the desire to continue in the successful efforts of those before us, will assure this Association continued success.
To the following cited founders and charter members, whose foresight provided the spark to fire inspiration into all, we extend everlasting credit:
Anthony DeVito, John Doldo, Leonard Root, Attorney Jack R. E. Nocera, John Pepp, Lewis Pepp, Sanuel V. Anzalone, Vincent Romeo, Anthony Marra, Pasquale Fontana, Pasquale Carbone, Anthony S. Marzano, Joseph Coppola, J. Malcolm Carelli, Frank Root, Anthony Sparacino, Anthony Cannella, Dr. Guido J. Gianfranceschi, Dr. Louis C. Battista, Cosimo Renzi, Attorney Michael Renzi, Henry V. Cumoletti, Gus Guardino, Pasquale Melara, Peter A. Fiaschetti, Michael Cavallario, William Tubolino, Nicholas Cellini, and Louis Oliver.
Let the efforts and contribution of the past membership inspire the present and future membership to carry on in its mission.